St Margaret Mary's School, Brunswick North

E No. E1084
Principal: Ms Fiona Dearn
Address: 47-49 Mitchell Street, Brunswick North 3056
Year Levels: P to 6
Melways Reference: Map 29 J 5
Phone Number: 9383 6699
Fax Number: 9386 4948
Diocese: Archdiocese of Melbourne
Region: Northern
Parish: St Margaret Mary's

History:

Our Parish of St Margaret Mary’s was originally part of the parish of St Ambrose in Brunswick. It was first known as St Matthew’s and was established in 1913. The original St Matthew’s church, built the previous year, served as a church, school and hall for the predominantly Irish community.

The Sisters of Mercy were appointed in 1913 to administer the school and did so until the appointment of the first lay principal in 1994. The present school building was built, opened and blessed by Archbishop Mannix in 1923. The new school was dedicated to St Margaret Mary.

With post World War II migration, a large number of Italian children were enrolled at the school in the 1950s and 1960s. Since then St Margaret Mary’s has welcomed children from European, Middle Eastern, African and Asian countries.

By 1988 the Prep area, which was housed across the road from the school, was declared unfit for educational purposes and was demolished. This area was originally the kindergarten. All learning areas were moved to the one campus as federal government funding enabled the building of four new classrooms, which were officially opened and blessed by Bishop Joseph O’Connell in 1990.

In 1993 a new administration area and refurbishments to the staffroom and library were undertaken. In 2005 Stage 1 of our Master Plan to rebuild new student amenities and to refurbish the hall began. Stage 2 of the Master Plan is completed. All playground surfaces and underground drainage systems have been replaced. This stage was partially funded by a Capital Grant.

Since 1983 the Salesians of Don Bosco have administered the parish of St Margaret Mary’s. Students from St Margaret Mary’s regularly attend the Don Bosco Centre in Sydney Rd, and thoroughly enjoy the excellent facilities provided.

Description:

St Margaret Mary’s School is situated in North Brunswick, which lies in the northern part of the city of Melbourne. We are richly blessed with a variety of cultures and faith expressions. We have been challenged to develop a curriculum and a way of being which is inclusive and ensures all students strive for excellence in their learning. St Margaret Mary’s has a proud tradition dating from 1913. Its major hallmark has been its Catholic identity and a strong sense of community, built on genuine care and concern for children and their families. We are committed to working cooperatively to provide a happy school life for all children as they experience success in their learning.

Features:

• Dedicated and enthusiastic staff
• Parish Education Board
• Strong links with the Parish via Masses, liturgies, the sacramental program, and committees
• Weekly assemblies
• Annual art exhibition
• Junior and senior choirs
• Active Student Representative Council (SRC )
• On-site After-school Care (OSHC)
• Helpers in the classroom
• Active Parents and Friends Group
• Netball Club out of school hours
• Tennis lessons out of school hours
• Private piano and keyboard lessons
• Active after-school program (Free extra activity for students)
• Fun ‘n’ Healthy in Moreland Program
• Air conditioned, bright classrooms
• Refurbished school hall
• On-site Uniform Shop
• Don Bosco visits
• Swimming and camp programs
• Up-to-date ICT equipment throughout the school
• Fitness program
• And many more…

Location: